New Sakura-so Seniors’ Residence opened in May, 1998, and is operated by Nikkei Seniors Health Care and Housing Society (NSHCHS). It offers affordable housing for independent seniors, and an opportunity to lead active and fulfilling lives in a secure residence. New Sakura-so is situated within the Nikkei Place campus, allowing easy access to programs, events, and exhibits offered at Nikkei National Museum & Cultural Centre, eating at Kenko Diner, and goodies at Suzuya Japanese convenience store.
入居者の皆様が楽しく活動できる場です。 毎年、季節ごとのパーティーや入居者会議、体操教室、交流会などを開催しています。 入居者同士の交流の場にもなっています。
Kenko Diner is a Japanese/Western restaurant located at across the street inside Nimi Nikkei Home. Kenko Diner also serves the meals for the wellness programs offered by Nikkei Seniors Society.
The vibrant Edmonds neighborhood also offers a variety of other food options such as the highly acclaimed Nao Sushi, Mr Ho Wonton house, and Pho Century. New Sakura-So is within walking distance of Highstreet mall, which contains even more dining options for residents and a nice variety of shops to choose from.
Kenko Wellness is located inside the Nimi Nikkei Home building. There are a number of activities and programs that are open to the community and residents can take part for an additional fee, such as:
- Tea & Chat
- Outfight Parkinson
- Mind/Body exercise
- Cooking Together
- Iki Iki (‘Lively Lively’) dementia-friendly day programs
- …and more.
Nikkei National Museum & Cultural Center
The National Nikkei Museum & Cultural Centre provides an enjoyable and accessible experience for everyone. There are regular exhibits about the Japanese Canadian and Japanese community, special events including festivals and performances, as well cultural and seniors programs. The Museum and Cultural Centre is located across the street, next door to Nimi Nikkei Home.
Suzuya Convenience Store
Suzuya is a Japanese convenience store that operates next door to Nimi Nikkei Home. Here you will find all types of goodies for purchase.
New Sakura-so is part of the Nikkei Place campus, but also the wonderfully diverse Edmonds community. It is centrally located to all types of food stores, pharmacies, restaurants and banks; it is within walking distance to Highgate Village Shopping Centre.
What are the requirements to be eligible to live at New Sakura-so?
Eligibility requirements (BC Housing):
- Applicants must be Canadian Citizen or Permanent Resident (applicants who are sponsored by their family must have 10 years residency in Canada).
- Applicants must be permanent residents of BC at the time of application.
- Applicants must provide proof of income and assets.
- Applicants must be at least 55 years of age.
- New Sakura-so is operated by Nikkei Seniors Health Care and Housing Society (NSHCHS).
- You do not need to be a member of Nikkei Seniors Health Care & Housing Society (NSHCHS).
- You do not have to be a donor to NSHCHS to apply for housing.
- Filling out an application is not a promise of housing.
- Date of application may not be a priority.
- Tenants cannot keep pets on the premises.
Here are some principles we will use when we choose residents:
- NSHCHS cannot offer any services in addition to housing. Applicants must be capable of living independently.
- Approximately 20 of the units will be rented to people with total gross household income of $37,000 or less on move-in. These individuals will pay the GAIN* Shelter Allowance or 30% of their gross household income.
- Approximately 14 of the units will be rented at close to the market rent in the area. This market rent will be set by BC Housing Management Commission. People applying for these units will have gross incomes greater than $37,000 and less than $53,000 on move-in. (according to current BC Housing income limits)
Applying for Tenancy
Rent is on a sliding scale, and seniors apply for tenancy at our office. This project is operated with rental subsidies from HomesBC and generous donations from the community. The waiting list is dependent on the type of unit that becomes available. To qualify, applicants must permanently reside in British Columbia when applying. Please click on New Sakura-so Information for more details.
For an Application for Tenancy: