Dear Residents, Families and Friends,
We hope you have a great week and look forward to the upcoming holiday season. As we near the end of the year, we reflect on the wonderful successes and memories we have made at Nimi Nikkei Home with our residents and their loved ones, and we optimistically look forward to a bright, healthy Christmas and new year.
The new COVID-19 variant named Omicron has been identified, with cases emerging worldwide and in Canada and our province. At this point, there is insufficient information concerning the potential risks this variant may pose. Most experts agree that vaccinations and precautions such as physical distancing and masking continue to be our best defence. At Nimi Nikkei Home, 100% of our residents and 100% of our staff are fully vaccinated, and the third booster dose is completed for residents and staff are quickly We continue to maintain infection prevention control (IPC) measures such as:
- regular monitoring of resident health; proper and frequent use of personal protective equipment;
- screening of all residents, visitors, and staff;
- enhanced IPC education for staff;
- promotion of good hand hygiene and respiratory etiquette; and enhanced daily cleaning and disinfection of high-touch surfaces.
In light of the potential risk of the new variant, we are maintaining the monthly IPC audits in our home. With these measures in place, our caring and dedicated staff maintain a safe and supportive environment for our residents and their families.
Here are a few updates and refreshers at Nimi Nikkei Home:
- New Public Health Orders, effective from Dec 20th, 2021. Please continue to follow the restrictions set out by the province when you are out in public. Click the link below for more details.
Provincial and regional restrictions – Province of British Columbia (gov.bc.ca)
- Deliveries to Nikkei Home – We must check it in with the front door screener for any deliveries. A large bin will be put by the entrance area and sanitized after each use. The packages will be picked up by Care/Activity Staff throughout the day. The best time to drop off is Monday-Sunday 9 am – 6 pm, with our front door screeners.
- Screeners are on duty from 6:45 am to 7:00 pm daily. If there is no screener at the door, please ring the door bell. If you’re visiting during off-hours, please check-in/out with the Team Leader on duty and call #604-777-5000 ext. 2108. Please do not enter without being screened.
- Annual Fire Inspection – Booked for Thursday, January 13th, from 9 am to 5 pm. Shore Fire will be conducting testing throughout the building, including access to each suite. The Maintenance and Care team will safely move residents while the technician tests the fire alarm devices and smoke detectors.
Reminders on the importance of frequent handwashing, wearing a mask while in or passing through common/shared spaces. We will provide a timely reminder for residents and families of the risks of visiting and their collective accountability and necessary commitment to adhere to guidelines that minimize risk for residents, staff, and visitors. Please do not visit if you are not feeling well.
As always, thank you for the cards, messages and gifts to our staff as we continue pushing forward into 2022. If you have any questions, please feel free to reach out to us and have a safe and wonderful Holiday Season.
Jay Haraga, Executive Director
Hiromi Hasegawa, Manager Resident Services
Nikkei Seniors Health Care and Housing Society